Well, I guess Hurricane Sandy could be described this way: On the Jersey shore, NYC, and Long Island, it was everything it was hyped up to be, and perhaps more. Inland, including upstate New York and Saratoga Springs, not so much. Well, we should all be thankful, and feel for those near the water that suffered so greatly. With that being said, here are some more thoughts for the past week:
* Catherine’s, the restaurant at the Saratoga Spa State Park golf course, has large signs both on Route 9 and Route 50 promoting the place. I haven’t noticed them before, and I believe they were just put up in the fall. They look out of place on such pristine park land.
* Every now and then I surf into some really neat vintage footage from SPAC. Here’s Jim Morrison and the Doors backstage at SPAC in 1968. I was two years old. Cool stuff.
* Capital Grand, a condominium project planned for Broadway in Albany five years ago, is back on the planning board, but this time as apartments. The relevance to Saratoga Springs? Norstar Development, a company from my hometown of Buffalo, is the developer in not just Capital Grand, but the redevelopment of the old Skidmore dorms “The Pink Palace” on Union Avenue here in the Spa City. The Pink Palace plans seem to be about as dormant as you can get, but for what it’s worth, Norstar has the Union Avenue project on its web site under the “Current Projects” category. About as current as the 2016 Presidential Race.
* Boy, that Big Apple Restaurant, on South Broadway near the border with Malta, looks like more of an eyesore every day.
* The Saratoga Regional YMCA needs to rediscover Twitter. They haven’t updated their feed since August.
Around and About:
* Saratoga Coffee Traders has its November E-newsletter out, plus they have their TGIF coupon as well.
* And the Saratoga Arts E-Newsletter for November
* Check out the latest offerings from Wild Birds Unlimited
* SPAC is looking for more members.
* Here’s the latest from the Saratoga Springs Farmers’ Market
OK folks that’s about it for now. Have a great weekend!
ON THE WIRE