Even after track season, with the feeling of an oncoming winter in the air, Saratoga Springs is hustling and bustling. Here’s one Saratogian’s views for this week:
* The Thirsty Owl Wine Company tasting room, in the old Kimberly Inn on South Broadway, has shown significant signs of progress but is still a ways away from opening. Word has it that just part of it may open first as a retail operation, then at some later point the café and tasting room areas will open. They’ve had numerous construction delays with permit issues and so forth, so don’t expect anything until December, and probably even after that.
* I see Feigenbaum cleaners opened a new location at the Bonacio Market Center building. I am excited for Spot Coffee’s planned December opening there.
* Man, Skidmore’s parents’ weekend sure brought in the business last weekend. There was an hour and a half wait for a table at Hattie’s last Saturday night, and even Breugger’s, a veritable ghost town most days, had a long line Sunday morning.
* I don’t write a whole lot about politics on here, but I took a burn when I read Sunday’s Times Union article about certain Capital region mayors abusing their city vehicles and getting prime parking at Saratoga Race Course. The part that burned me most? “Saratoga Springs Mayor Scott Johnson did not respond to multiple calls for comment.” Well, there’s transparency and accountability for you.
* It wasn’t all bad in Sunday’s Times Union. Did you catch this review of Druther’s Brewing Company?
* Speaking of new places for beer, has anyone gone to the Henry Street Taproom yet? I’m wondering how it was.
* Back to the T-U, did you see this Bensonhurst Ave. bungalow made House of the Week in the paper’s places and spaces blog? It is similar to a house on Regent Street that I took a picture of a few years back of for my Funsaratoga blog.
* I see John Hendrickson was listed on the new NYRA board as the “Special Advisor to the Board for Saratoga Race Course.” In political speak, that means he didn’t make the cut, but they’ll give him a face-saving consolation prize which has no power.
* Hattie’s is having a fundraiser for the New York City Ballet’s SPAC performances on January 19th at the Canfield Casino.
* All night Happy Hour from 4:30 to Close at Boca Bistro! That works.
* Betting on the Breeder’s Cup? Then try Saratoga Casino and Raceway’s $500,000 Breeder’s Cup voucher giveaway. “Each voucher is worth at least $2, $5, $10, $25 or $100 and one lucky contestant might just redeem the $500,000 voucher.” It will be like those McDonald’s games where you could win a million dollars, or a free order of French fries. You know you’re going to win the free fries, or in the case of the Saratoga Casino promotion, two bucks, but what the heck.
* It’s not even Halloween, but the Firecracker 4 is offering an earlybird registration for next year’s race. They are also selling this year’s shirt at a discount.
OK folks, that’s it for now. Have a great weekend.
Photo Credit: Sam Brooks
ON THE WIRE