Then and Now: Vintage Structures Still In Use Today
The City you see today has undergone a vast transformation. Modernization and Urban Renewal, the wrecking ball, and too many fires have each played a role in shaping present-day Saratoga Springs. Still, like a historical jigsaw puzzle, there are remnants of the past – either through the efforts of preservationists, or just blind luck - that hide in the crevices among the city’s architecture and continue to exist today.
Menges & Curtis: now the Fallon Wellness Pharmacy of Saratoga
In this series, we aim to present pieces of what once was and what stands here today. In this way, we may learn something about what came before us, and perhaps catch a glimpse of the past, still alive in the present day. Many of the historical images are provided courtesy of the Saratoga Springs History Museum, which houses the George S. Bolster Collection – a photo archive which contains 325,000 negatives dating back more than a century from Saratoga Springs.
Through our research we try to locate the same spot from where the original photograph was taken, and when possible re-take our current photo there.
Van Raalte Knitting Mill on High Rock Avenue, when it was the Clark textile mill in 1905
A different view of the one-time mill which was adapted for re-use as an office building
ON THE WIRE